Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Felted Mobile For A Friend

When a long-time friend told me she is expecting a baby (sometime this summer), I knew I wanted to make something special for her and her baby. After all, she has over the years gifted me and my daughter numerous, wonderful, handmade goodies that will be loved and treasured for years to come, so I knew I wanted to repay her in kind. When I asked her what she would like, and what theme she is doing for her gender-neutral nursery, she requested a mobile, and the theme is space and robots. She also showed me this print that she got for the nursery, so I used it as inspiration for the mobile. At least that's where it started - making the main part Saturn, and the toys would hang off Saturn's ring.
The toys were a combination of wet and needle felted. The needle-felted stars have glass "crystal" beads on top and bottom to add a little sparkle. The ring is from a wood embroidery hoop that I covered with wool felt and needle-felted the seams. The toys hang on mono-filament, and Saturn and its ring hang on wire that I pulled out of an ethernet cable (it's orange to match!). My friend has the option of removing the toys later on if she so chooses to allow the baby to play with them. They were kid-tested by my daughter (20 months), who kept running off with them every time I finished one. She enjoyed playing with the robot the most.

needle-felted shooting star
baby's view

No comments:

Post a Comment